Why ICT's?

Friday, April 23, 2010

WIKIPedia

Hi,

If only there had been a resource that was as available as Wikipedia when I was at school or even University. I find that I am regularly looking for information, concise definitions, historical backgrounds or links to other relevant topics. As I am studying Primary teaching the resources for me on any given topic are massive. As the scope of Primary education is so vast, information from Wikipedia can be taken from a basic to a more advanced level.

The science topic for my EPL is friction. Science is most definitely a wink link for me, having had extremely poor learning experiences and therefore interest in this subject. Wikpedia explains to me in a succinct interesting format about the basics of friction. Many of the definitions are accompanied by diagrams and graphs which make the topic easier to understand, therefore enabling me to discuss this issue with confidence.

The other benefit for both students and teachers are the links to related topics. Even if the subject matter that has been brought up is not exactly what is required often the link will emerge that you were looking for. This is especially the case as further development or investigation of a topic is required.

I am a fan of Wikipedia, it is an interactive way for both students and teachers to further their knowledge and to discover the previously unknown.

Regards,
Kylie

No comments:

Post a Comment