Why ICT's?

Friday, April 23, 2010

Incomptech

Hey,

Access to free music on line, FANTASTIC. I come from a background where music has been integral to my life, either through playing, learning, teaching, listening and appreciating. There was rarely a time throughout my life that music has not been central. My mother was a music teacher and my father was the director of Musical Theatre, both in schools and the community. I am therefore, exposing my own children to a similar environment. I have recently taken up guitar, for a couple of reasons, it is something I have always wanted to do, to show my children the benefits of learning/playing an instrument and to allow me to play and sing with them. At my first lesson my teacher asked me if I liked to sing, my response was "Who doesn't like to sing". Some people may not feel comfortable singing by themselves (like a solo), must most people generally enjoy the feeling that music and singing invokes in them, even if it just when they are in shower or car. I have a child that has asked me to record all his favorite tunes onto an ipod so that he can listen whenever he wants, he has realised that I begin to go hoarse after my 25th repeat of Puff the Magic Dragon.

The ability to access free music that can be played in the classroom is fantastic. There could be any number of reasons why you may want to use this as a device in the classroom. Often students need some time out, relaxation or distraction after an intense session. To play some music either to get them moving or to calm them down, even just for a couple of minutes can work wonders. There is also the capability of then using tracks from sources such as Incomptech to accompany other digital presentations, such as PowerPoint. This allows creativity, especially as content may have certain perimeters. If free range (to a certain degree) is given on musical accompaniment to a presentation, motivation will hopefully be increased.

I know I will be looking into this site a lot further, may even save my own voice a bit!!

Cheers,
Kylie

No comments:

Post a Comment