Why ICT's?

Monday, March 29, 2010

Reflections on the Arts in education

Hi there,

Although this response is not specifically related to ICT's as such I felt I would like to share it.

The Arts has been very central to my life for as long as I can remember. Coming from a family where the Arts was highly valued, my mother is a music teacher and my dad taught drama. For all my life music and drama have been integral in my life. I play the recorder, clarinet, flute, saxophone and have recently taken up guitar. I have learnt all the woodwind instruments to a high standard and from late high school I also taught them. My musical talent also lead me into many and varied orchestras, bands and small groups, consequently, performance was another constant in my life.

My father was also the director of a community based musical theatre company. My siblings and I were actively involved in the group too. We were always engaged at various levels, for one production one may have been in the orchestra and for the next in the chorus, and for the next a lead role. It was a constant in our lives, this also extended to our own educational experiences too. We were all actively involved in the Arts departments of our various schools. It was always a case of if there was a musical, concert, play or anything else in the musical/dramatic area, it was almost expected that I would participate. I guess at times that may have been a burden, but for the most part I just loved it.

I completed Year 12 with two music subjects (theory and practical) and drama. Immediately after that I began a teaching degree, with those subjects as my majors. I lasted about 1 year and a term. I was completely burnt out. I took the rest of that year off to assess where I wanted to go, I loved music and drama, but I felt that I had given it my all for so long, and wasn’t sure if I had done it for myself or my parents. However, I returned to study the following year in Arts (sociology and politics), and kept my music and drama for myself. I continued to play, but only for enjoyment, I maintained my performance and private teaching and found that my creativity and passion was re-invigorated.

I could go on for pages about my involvement and experiences in the Arts, and I am sure as the course progresses many more incidents will emerge.

To be honest I never thought that I would be back writing about the Arts in education, I thought that I had left that part of my life back in the 1990’s somewhere. However, circumstances and situations change. I believe that I am now in the right place and probably more qualified to talk about this topic. There is no denying that I am excited about the prospect of teaching the Arts in the classroom. Everyday, I see with my own children how important music, movement, role play and art are in their lives. They live in that realm, it is their here and now. Each and every activity that my children do at home involves at least one aspect of the Arts. One of my sons sings rather than talks. Most of his day is spent singing about whatever it is he is doing.

I don’t think that the importance of allowing children to continue their creative instincts can be over stated. I do believe that much of the education system does not allow for children to extend their creativity. As they progress through the years disciplines become more rigid and music is simply the domain of an hours lesson a week, or the same for art. Drama and dance rarely even rate a mention indivilually, they just “incorporated” into other mediums. Essentially they become just another subject, and even within themselves, if incorrectly taught, become boring or disengaging. I will be very sad the day my little boy stops singing just because he loves it!!!!

The Arts encourage creativity, freedom of speech/thoughts, self confidence, perseverance, imagination and fun. I cannot possibly see how an education without these qualities is complete.

Five reasons why students should experience the Arts are:

1. They foster imagination, risk-taking and creativity
2. Increased confidence and motivation
3. Respect and understanding of indigenous and other culture
4. Developing skills through active engagement
5. Respond a receive critical analysis of their creations


All Arts related subjects although different have many similarities in the techniques and qualities they are attempting to develop. The Arts while encouraging specific skills in their individual areas such as oil painting or film making. However, they have a common aim of encouraging students to have confidence in their ideas, appreciating diversity in culture, society and each other, the ability to put themselves in some else’s position, and the opportunity to revert into a world that is often taken away from them that of the land of imagination and creation. The skills that the Arts encompass are not area specific they are skills that will be used for life and thus need to be encouraged and promoted in all school and at all levels.

Cheers,
Kylie

No comments:

Post a Comment